Oriental Beef Bottom Sirloin Tri-Tip
This small lean beef roast is BIG on flavour and cooks in no time. Season with a quick rub or marinade and cook just to medium doneness at most. To serve, carve across the grain into thin slices, like Flank Steak. Be sure to allow the beef to rest before carving.
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) soy sauce
- ¼ cup (50 mL) vegetable oil
- ¼ cup (50 mL) dry sherry
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ lb (750 g) Beef Bottom Sirloin Tri-tip Oven Roast
- ¾ tsp (4 mL) Chinese Five Spice seasoning
- Coarsely ground pepper
- 3 cups (750 mL) stir-fry vegetables such as slivered red onion and sweet pepper, snap peas, asparagus, etc.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sesame oil
- Steamed rice or cooked Asian noodles
- Combine soy sauce, vegetable oil, sherry and garlic in bowl; pour half into large zipper-type freezer bag, reserving the remainder. Pierce beef all over with fork; place in bag and refrigerate for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Discard used marinade; pat beef dry with paper towel. Rub all over with Chinese Five Spice seasoning and pepper. Grill in closed barbecue over moderate heat (400°F/200°C), turning occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes for medium doneness, until digital instant read thermometer reads 145°F (63°C) when inserted sideways into beef. Remove to cutting board, cover loosely with foil and let stand 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat sesame oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add vegetables and stir-fry 3 to 4 minutes until just softened. Add reserved soy sauce mixture and heat through. Carve beef into thin slices across the grain and serve with stir-fry vegetables over steamed rice or cooked Asian noodles.
- Difficulty: Intermediate
- Occasion: Entertaining, Romantic